Afforestation

Afforestation Scheme provides financial support to encourage the planting of trees on land not previously under forest. Increasing Ireland forested area helps to tackle climate change, increases biodiversity and provides sustainable jobs in the rural economy.
https://www.gov.ie/en/service/0cee60-afforestation-scheme-2014-2020/

The afforestation scheme is aimed at any landowner who wishes to plant forestry on their land. Joint landowners can also apply.
An afforestation grant is paid once the plantation has been satisfactorily established. This grant amounts to 75% of the overall forestry grant. The second instalment of the remaining 25% or maintenance grant is payable four years later, providing the plantation has been satisfactorily maintained. These grants are mandated to SWS Forestry and we then carry out all planting and maintenance works. Generally the grants cover the entire costs of planting and your forester will advise at the outset if there are any additional costs involved.

Source: Afforestation Grant and Premium Scheme 2014-2020 – Dept of Agriculture, Food & the Marine

Annual premiums are payable to the land owner and rates are dependant upon the species planted. In the 2014-2020 Forestry Programme, there is no difference between farmer and non-farmer rate.

[table] Grant/Premium (GPC)|Annual Premium Rate per Hectare|
|Years 1-15|
|Site<10ha|Site >10ha
GPC 1 (Unenclosed)| €185| €190
GPC 2 (Sitka Spruce/Lodgepole Pine)| €440| €450
GPC 3 (10% Diverse – Spruce)| €510| €520
GPC 4 (Diverse) |€590 | €600
GPC 5 (Broadleaf )| €605 | €620
GPC 6 (Oak)| €645 | €660
GPC 7 (Beech)| €645 | €660
GPC 8 (Alder & Birch) | €605 | €620
GPC 9 Native Woodland Establishment (oak-birch-holly-hazel) | €665 | €680
GPC 10 Native Woodland Establishment (alder – oak) | €665 | €680[/table]

There are various GPCs (Grant & Premium Categories) available to choose from as seen in the table above. Our foresters can advise on what category is most suited to your land based on soil type, exposure, habitat type and drainage.

In order to apply for the afforestation scheme, a registered forester is required to complete the application form. SWS Forestry have registered foresters located nationwide who can assess your site and advise on its suitability for planting and what species to plant. All enquiries are welcome.
Click here to view our team or call 0818 928 900 and we can discuss the scheme with you in more detail and can assess your potential site(s) for suitability for the scheme.

Click here to see the many benefits of planting forests.

Click here to view our team or call 1800 928 900 and we can discuss the scheme with you in more detail and can assess your potential site(s) for suitability for the scheme.