- Over 11% of Ireland is under forest
- In excess of 43% is in private ownership
- Total value of the Forestry Industry to the Irish Economy is €1.65billion
- Employment in the forest sector is almost 11,000 people.
- A 15,000 ha per annum afforestation programme will create on average 490 direct jobs annually.
- Recreational value of forests valued at €97 million, which in turn generates €268 million in economic activities in rural areas.
- Sustainable level of afforestation is 15,000 ha per annum
- Government target 17% forest cover by 2030 equivalent to one million hectares of forest
- The average size of a privately owned forest in Ireland is 8 hectares (20 acres)