SWS Forestry Services are ideally placed to identify suitable investment land for our clients. We have Foresters located throughout the country who have a wide network of personal contacts including auctioneers and agents.
SWS Forestry Services will procure suitable land following these criteria:
- Size: Large blocks preferred greater than 12 ha (30 acres)
- Access: Lands should adjoin a road or have a good right of way on to the public road
- Yield Class: This is defined as the potential growth rate or yield of a forest, expressed as cubic meter per hectare per year (m3/ha/yr). SWS Forestry prefer the higher YC i.e. 22-24 m3/ha/yr
- Elevation/Exposure: Prefer low-lying land with low or moderate exposure
- Land Types: Both enclosed and unenclosed
Enclosed land is defined as land, which was enclosed and improved for agriculture use by cultivation, drainage and/ or manuring enclosed by man made boundaries.
Unenclosed land is defined as land that has not been farmed or improved and enclosed by man made boundaries.
Once the land has been identified one of our professional foresters can advise on:
- Species Selection: Having assessed the land, selection of species is critical. Broadleaves are normally confined to the low rich lying mineral lands mainly with grass vegetation. Conifers are normally planted on a wide range of site types from grass, grass/rush, cutaway bogs, mountains.
- Annual Premium: Once species have been selected to suit land procured an estimate of total premium per year can be calculated. Having assessed all of the above a price evaluation can be put on the property.
The general price range paid by SWS Forestry are given below:
- Unenclosed land €4,000 to €5,000 per hectare (€1,600 to €2,000 per acre)
- Enclosed land €10,000 to €12,000 per hectare (€4,000 to €4,700 per acre)
All the costs incurred in identifying, valuing and purchasing suitable land is absorbed by SWS Forestry Services.